Tuesday, July 22, 2008

July 10-22: Flight To PE, Annie's Cove, NMMU

So as it seems I am writing my first blog, seeing as how I have time finally to waste on the internet and listen to the mingling of languages that congest the pool area here at Annie's.  Where to start?
So I flew out of LAX Tuesday night July 8 and took 9.5 hrs to arrive in L
ondon Heathrow airport.  It was pouring down rain yet clear enough to see the beautiful city of london as well landed.  I would have to say, London, the suburbs surrounding the big city and all the congested buildings, homes, and streets were so intriguing and mysterious.  I could not help but think I 
might have to extend my stay on my flight home to the states in six months so that I can have time to possibly roam the city.  While at Heathrow, I bought my first guinness with a side of fish and chips.  I thought that was pretty standard seeing as how I was in England and all. After 3 hours at the airport and an additional 45 minutes that myself and others flying to Jo'berg had wait, I was finally on my way to South Africa.  The flight took about 11 hrs if you can believe it.  Flying over Africa was amazing! Nothing, nothing, and more nothing for miles and miles.  The flight over Pretoria, the Capital of South Africa, and Jo'berg was really something else. Housing projects, enormous buildings downtown, rugby parks, cricket stadiums a
nd in the distance I could see the beginnings of the 115,000 person 2010 World Cup stadium being built.  It was an incredible sight.  
After landing I had to run from one side of the airport to the other seeing as how our flight was late I didn't want to miss my connection to Port Elizabet
h (PE).  The route I had to run went outside and since it was 0 degrees C and I was wearing just a t-shirt, everyone was starring at me like I was some crazy foreigner..haha.  Anyways,, I missed the first flight, stood waiting for the woman at the British Airways stand to get me another seat on connecting flight for about an hour when it should have only taken 10 minutes (you must get used to this Africa... waiting I mean).  Finally I was on my way to PE without sleep and hungrier than an elephant.  I arrived 5 hours later than I was supposed and the people picking me up from the airport were nowhere in sight.  It took me about 30 mi
nutes to figure out how to use the pay phones here, they ring even when you dial and the ring tone is just a beeping noise as though the line is busy. I finally fond someone working for the University, 3 pretty girls huddled together with large coats.  It was quit funny to see them in such a way seeing as how it was actually quit nice out compared to Jo'berg.  I finally caught a ride to my accommodations, an international living quarters for students from around the world and different parts of South Africa, known as Annie's Cove.  The houses are quit small, actually the rooms are enormous, larger than the room I stayed in at Poly, but the kitchen is very cramped and compact, standard I suppose for african living.  By this time it was 7pm July 10 and I had not received a decent sleep when I lite knock on my door woke me from my daze and confused state.  It was another CEA student na
med Amanda who supposedly arrived a few hours early and had been sleeping all day and was quit energetic.  We introduced each other, spoke about the basics, who were, where we came from, why we
 chose SA, and so on.  Two other gentlemen soon joined us in our conversations, one from Germany named Stephan and another named Joachim from France.  They live together here in Annie's and are the nicest and coolest guys.  We all four chatted it up for a few hours, before I finally decided to end my night with some long needed and anticipated sleep.  
The next day I awoke and readied myself for a long day ahead.  Monalisa, CEA director with Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) met myself, Amanda and two other CEA students, Kaylee and Laura, who arrived later that night. We took a short tour of the campus
, received our mobile phones, meet the director of the international office, and met back at Annie's to get ready for Tsitsikamma.  Back at Annie's we met the group from St. Clouds, 11 girls and 1 guy from a Minnesotan
University, that were all pumped and ready for their first South African adventure. 
It took about 3 hours to arrive Tsitsikamma and upon our arrival we were sent to the adventure center to get ready for a night of ziplining.  

It was a lot of fun. The greatest part was the guide Ivan and his cousin Spinach who were two crazy South Africans from Cape Town that flew around on the zipline screaming and howlering.  After we retired to B&B area so we could sort out our rooms and get the bra
ai started.  I was joined by Mike, the only other guy in the group, and two south african NMMU students Lanz and Cobis who were there to help teach myself and Mike how to braai.  A braai is style of South African barbecuing that involves waiting for a wood fire to burn down to coals upon which you put a large grilling screen and applying different types of poultry and meat.  The food selection included pork strips, chicken wings and breasts, beef sausages known as woers and chicken sausages that took forever to cook.  I was able to get the Tsitsikamma B&B host to get the group some beers, and after two hours of braaing and drinking beer, the party began.  Everyone ate and drank and I 
learnt that whiskey is the most popular alcoholic beverage among the south african men.  The next morning was harder for some than others to wake up the next morning, upon when we received a nice 
breakfast from the hosts.  From there, the group traveled on to Monkeyland, a small area/range that is dedicated to the wildlife preservation of different types of monkeys. I got some good pictures which I have shared. 

After Monkeyland we all decided to head back to PE and spend the night out downtown.  That night was the first for many in a night club. first for ANYONE where drinks at a night club were less than a euro and about 1 USD.  If you can figure what that equates to I will not go further.  For those of you who don't think 10USD can go far on alcoholic drinks i'll tell you.. it equates to a crazy wild night. 

The following week was Orientation and registration for most of international students and new students arriving this semester. Registration is possibly the most difficult thing I have encountered so far here in Africa.  Took me 5 hours just to pick my classes seeing as how most the ones I got approved from Cal Poly were not being offered this term. So i chose all new courses and was able to email and contact Cal Poly and received good word that the classes I chose would be approved by the General Education Director. So I finally got all my academics situated, which meant I had more time to party, no I am just kidding. I was able to go out and join the others on a nice 
tour of PE which included a tour of the city, a visit to the history museum, red location--a township on the city limits where black south africans were relocated during the apartheid era and hav
e not been able to regain their status since--and bayworld--an acclaimed marine park here in PE. The day was  lots
 of fun and we were able to get back out that night for half off cocktails and make our way back to Tapas.  We were also able to make it out the beaches, now that the weather has warmed back up to were it is  supposed to be---winter time in PE is basically summer time in LA  70s/80s during the day, 60s/high50s at night.   It is amazing.  14 of us, Stephan, Joachim, Ellen, Sarah and Jenn--three other americans here who come from the IS program-- Felix, Jeesy (a guy Finland), 
Merrideth, Laura, Kaylee, Cicilia, and myself were able to make it out to Jeffery's Bay (yes the acclaimed surf spot of South Africa) to watch the Billabong Pro finals.  Kelly Slater beat Mick Fanning for the title and we all bought sweaters for 10USD and spent the day in J-Bay hanging out and meeting the loc
als.  It was good fun and upon our return to PE we found we only had to pay 15USD for the rental of three cars for 14 ppl. It was amazing!  I waves were so awesome that day although the wind was strong from the southeast putting a onshore/offshore side swip across the face of the waves.  

 Over the weekend, many of the other students off for the holidays soon began to arrive back in Annie's Cove. I ended up meeting a few guys from South Africa as well as a few other people from other African states.  I finally met my flat mates, two Botswanan fellows however, I have yet to meet my official roommate who is supposedly from germany. Well I don't have much time to chat, my computer is soon to die so I will rejoin you all later this week if the weather permits which it most likely will.  I have classes all this week which are going quit well, considering all the mess from registration and tomorrow we are going to play soccer and hang out on the beach. 

So for now, Cheers mates!

Matthew  


1 comment:

Unknown said...

i cant believe i read that whole thing...but it all sounds so awesome and cheeeap! haha have fun man and keep us posted!